Wednesday, June 22

Super Easy Home Sweet Home State Pillow


I recently heard someone else' s home aesthetic described as "if Pottery Barn and Anthropologie got married and had a baby ." While those two stores aren't exactly my own style, I found myself twinge with envy. If only I had my own style!
Upon trying to define my own aesthetic, all I could come up with was, "My mom and Scandiavian chic meet but decide to stay friends, and have a roommate named back alley treasures who takes over the whole house. And the color red."




In other words, my house doesn't have much cohesion (except for the red), and I fail at home decor. But I'm going to become an amazing interior decorator.
Okay, that's a little ambitious. I'm going to try to get a little bit better at this.
Sometimes I wonder what is the first thing people see when they walk in my apartment. (I mean, once they stop huffing and puffing from the steep walk up to our floor. It's a duplex, you see. With a flight of terribly trecherous stairs that turn just enough to make them a toddler mom's nightmare.) Do they first see the picture of Martin Luther in disguise as a knight with mutton chops on my wall? Probably. I mean, it's the biggest piece of art and pretty much right in front of you when you enter our foyer.  I mean living room.
I am sure that I'll write a lot more about this room in the future, for it really is the center of the action at our house.
My first endeavor in making my
home more habitable was to make an adorable throw pillow. Because you aren't an adult without them.
You will need:
A plain pillow sham
A large image of your beloved state- I used Missouri
Pencil
Scissors
Paints and paintbrushes (I used the cheap acrylic craft paint, but I would recommend fabric paint)

1. Acquire a pillow sham. Quite honestly, I meant to make the pillow sham myself, but instead found them for very cheap at Hobby Lobby. It perfectly fit to cover the 60's-esque print that I already had. Be sure to measure your pillows before you buy!


2. Next, I trimmed up an enlarged image of the Show Me state that I found on Google.


3. After quickly outlining the state in pencil, I let my kid walk across it a couple times. This is an important step.


4. Paint your state. Use a small paintbrush and plenty of paint to make the outline nice and dark.

You could very easily leave the pillow with just the outline of your state, or add a heart where your city is, or you can add words, like I did.


Let me know how yours turns out!

5 comments:

  1. That's so cute. I love it. I think my style is "the marriage of a Berlin bazaar and an old lady's garage sale."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Because cheap/free is always best.

      Delete
  2. Dear Kez. "Cohesion" is a lie, and it doesn't actually exist. Sincerely, me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, for a second I thought you embroidered this pillow!! I love it!

      Delete
  3. Why embroider when you can paint?

    ReplyDelete